Friday, August 26, 2016

Scott's Metal Track of the Day - Dream House by Deafheaven

Today's Metal Track is Dream House by Deafheaven. This is the opening track off of their 2013 album Sunbather. This doozy of a track is filled different styles ranging from shoegaze, melodic, post-rock, screaming, and of course metal.

I know this is one of Jamie Nickerson's favorite songs and albums. Maybe he'll post here to provide a better review than me.

Update - Comments from Jamie:

Man. There are albums that I love and then there are albums that become an obsession. This was the latter and this song my favorite from the album. To the dismay of many purist black metal fans, they eschewed a lot of the genres production style as well as incorporated a lot of elements not typically found in black metal (to the point where I don't really even consider this a black metal album). A lot of people will talk about bands like Alcest having mixed shoegaze and post rock with black metal first - and they're right - but, in my opinion, no one has done it better than deafheaven. They just did everything right on this record. The story behind the creation, the logo font, the now iconic album cover, all meshed with an album that was already a cut above. It is one of the few times that I've listened to an album, and within the first few listens, KNEW I was listening to an album that would be heralded as a classic. Didn't take long to prove true.

No comments:

Post a Comment