Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Special Album Review: Dan Cummins - Storm (Out Today!)

On his sophomore effort, Storm, Dan Cummins puts together tons of great riffs with exceptional solos to create some heavy and catchy songs. Dan plays all instruments will the exception of the drums. For that, he brought in his Delorean band mate, Adam Satterwhite, who does an excellent job as usual.

The opening track, Tempest, kicks off the album with lots of energy and a chorus that has been stuck in my head all week. "Wake me when's it's over..." Next up is the album’s lead single, Eye on Me, which is the most mainstream track on the album with catchy riffs and a great solo. That is followed up by two solid tracks, Revolution and Hyperventilate, which are on the heavier side and the metal head in me is always going to be partial to the heavy songs.

Pendulum is one of my favorite tracks and my favorite vocal performance of Dan’s on the album. It’s also got an awesome Tool inspired riff that sets it apart. The album closes out with the longest song on the album, Arrival, clocking in at just under 13 minutes with the final epic 90 seconds invoking my inner Dethlkok!

Two of my favorite tracks on the album are the two instrumental tracks. First is Hypomania which is a funky metal track that is reminiscent of one of Dan’s influences, Joe Satriani. I told Dan that he should have named it Dan Boogie similar to Satch Boogie. Maybe on the next album. The other instrumental track, Triage, is my favorite on the album. It’s the thrashiest of all the songs and has my favorite solo on the album.

The one question I have for Dan: Now that the album is complete, is it time to work on the next Delorean album?

Available now on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/storm/id1156279595

Here is the lead single and Scott's Metal Track of the Day, Eye on Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment